I’ve been writing poetry for years and it has been quite a fascinating journey; in many ways, it has become me. Almost a decade after I first began taking the craft seriously, I’ve decided to look back into the past and recreate the adventure, from the first poem I wrote (with serious intent) to my most recent creation. Through the course of this journey, I will introduce you to some great poet-friends that I have made over the years, all of whom are terrific writers in their own right. This blog is all about the poetry. If you’re a beginning poet; a well-established one; a reader, a friend, a well-wisher or a stranger, hop-in for the ride, on wheels of words and fuel of rhyme.

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Why I Fell in Love with Poetry

I’m not sure why I asked myself this question when considering an opening post for a blog. The answer could run into pages and burst the constraints of blogging altogether. It’s matter voluminous enough for a book but I’ll squeeze as much out of it as possible; so here goes:

I love expression, creation, artistry and emotion. I love words and the clever use of language too. Stir well and you get a slippery ‘poetry’ soup that can be served hot, cold, bland or spiced. It can burn a tongue or satisfy a taste-bud. It is all-powerful in its ability to emote creatively.

It’s an art-form that snapped the elastic rubber-bands around my mind; dissolved the rigid bones into a free-flowing air; formed an escalator of deliverance that took me to space for a view of the world; a view I could zoom in and out of whenever I pleased. It was an empowerment; still is and always will be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment