I’ve been writing poetry for years and it has been quite a fascinating journey; in many ways, it has become me. Almost a decade after I first began taking the craft seriously, I’ve decided to look back into the past and recreate the adventure, from the first poem I wrote (with serious intent) to my most recent creation. Through the course of this journey, I will introduce you to some great poet-friends that I have made over the years, all of whom are terrific writers in their own right. This blog is all about the poetry. If you’re a beginning poet; a well-established one; a reader, a friend, a well-wisher or a stranger, hop-in for the ride, on wheels of words and fuel of rhyme.

Tuesday 31 May 2011

The Ghostly Galleon


Regretfully, I’ve been unable to dig out the “Ghostly Galleon” from her sandy past but thought about it quite a bit and realized that she never ceased to haunt me. I discovered that the galleon I wrote about in school was the same one that resurfaced many years later in the form of an emerald-green ship. The poem is still a work-in-progress; it has been for ages and I just don’t seem to be able to pin it down. I guess it’s the galleon and her knack for playing games with my mind.

Here are a few lines from the original "Ghostly Galleon" (with a lot of effort in recollection) but sadly, that’s all I have for the moment.

‘Queen of the seas’ – a line I’d never use today (it’s cliché)

‘Sails aflutter’ –  she had huge flapping sails (she may have been a ‘dark’ pirate ship)

‘The voices of my education warn me not to’ – I knew I was being tempted and played it safe; I would have had to die to sail with her; a complete no, no.

The poem was printed in the school magazine, The Jacobean.

2 comments:

  1. I have always been drawn to poems about ships, particularly ghost ships!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Darla! Here's a link to a wonderful poem about a Ghost ship by Robert Crawford (if you have not read it already) -

    http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-ghost-ship-2/

    ReplyDelete